Sat, Sep 16|
Try a Guided Backcountry Splitboarding Day (Part 2 - Resort to Backcountry) December
Ease into backcountry splitboarding with professional guides on a one-day first time experience in the field
Time & Location
Sep 16, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Gearhouse, 800 E Thomas St, Seattle, WA 98102, USA
About the event
About the Resort to Backcountry Program
Let’s get you backcountry skiing safely and confidently!
Join our incremental, step-by-step plan to go from a resort skier to a backcountry rider, and make backcountry buddies along the way.
Our system is designed to be low-commitment (choose which parts you do without any commitment), allowing you to progress as far as you feel comfortable or jump in at the level you feel best suits your needs.All backcountry gear available for rent too!
Parts 1-3 will get you to a level that you can confidently join any Avalanche trained person in the backcountry! This is great stopping point for anyone’s first backcountry season or you can keep on trucking through parts 4 and 5!
Parts 5 will get you avalanche trained and able to go with anyone that has toured before!
What to Expect:
After an online evening classroom session (Mon 12/12), this class will take Backcountry Splitboarders into a beautiful PNW backcountry location to learn and put the basics of uphill travel into action. The terrain is chosen specifically for first timers in the backcountry and focuses on getting a feel for touring out of bounds through backcountry skill acquisition and practice. 5 students per instructor.
(Looking for Backcountry Skiing? Go here)
Who is This For?
Resort splitboarders who are confident on blue runs in all snow conditions (think icy to powder).
If you aren’t sure, attend Part 1 and we’ll happily chat with you to help assess your skill level.
If you’ve already been in the backcountry, you’re free to skip straight to Part 3 or Part 5 (AIARE I)!
What You'll Learn:
- Putting on and using skins
- Efficient gear management
- Avalanche beacon safety check
- Basic movement skills on splitboard in uphill mode
- Uphill kick turns
- Fundamental movement skills for downhill riding (pole use, etc)
- Efficient and safe downhill movement in a backcountry setting
- Meet at Gearhouse for carpooling
- Pick-up gear (if reserved)
- Bring own clothing, snacks/lunch and water
What it Costs:
$225 + free gear
$250 (gear not included or +$200 with gear)
How to Register:
- Gearhouse MEMBERS: Grab the 10% discount code from the #backcountry2023-24 slack channel
- RSVP on this event to take you to registration on our guiding partners site
- Choose your preferred date
- Finalize registration and pay
Part 4: Go Touring with Friends and Gearhouse members