Sat, Oct 21|
Intro to Sport Climbing: Field Day (Part 2) - October
Always been curious how to be a better crag partner? - level up your skills in this two part offering
Time & Location
Oct 21, 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Gearhouse Basecamp, 800 E Thomas St, Seattle, WA 98102, USA
About the event
Know how to belay but want to up your game and support a partner who knows how to lead climb?
Note: This a 2 part series. If you'd like to attend the field day, you need to have attended the classroom session. Please RSVP separtely for the classroom session here.
This course will be an introduction to lead climbing taught by professional AMGA guides giving you the skills necessary to support a group of lead climbers by teaching you to lead belay and take down (“clean”) ropes after a lead climber puts it up and everyone has sent it in the group.
Knowing these skills can double the number of climbs and ropes lead climbers can put up in a group by allowing more people to help take equipment down and help belay those with lead skills. It is a precursor to learning how to lead climb
Who is it for?
Start here if you know how to belay in a gym, can climb at or above a 5.8 level, and have done some hiking before.
- How to spot a bad clip for the lead climber
- How to catch lead falls
- The differences between lead belaying and standard top rope belay
- How to pay out rope to a lead climber
- Lead climbing commands
- How to build a personal anchor
- How to remove the gear used to mount the rope and safely rappel back down aka “clean a route”
This course starts with an evening classroom session (Part 1) and then progresses to a day in the field with the guides to hone your skills! (Part 2)
- Notetaking items
- Snacks or dinner
- All gear provided except clothes and food provided. Bring what you need to be comfortable moving in the outdoors
- Outdoor locations: Vantage, I-90 Exits
- Meet at Gearhouse and head to the location together.
+$1.88 service fee
+$1.88 service fee0
+$5.00 service fee
+$5.00 service fee0