Sat, Mar 25|
Hybrid Wilderness First Responder
Learn how to deal with medical emergencies in the wilderness far from professional help!
Time & Location
Mar 25, 2023, 8:20 AM – 11:55 PM
Gearhouse, 434 Yale Ave N Suite B, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
About the event
Wilderness First Responder Definition:
A Wilderness First Responder (WFR) is lay medical responder trained to provide initial patient assessment and management, risk-benefit analysis, and evacuation decision making in an area where organized rescue and hospital care is delayed. The WFR has a limited advanced skillset to deal with specific, common issues in wilderness medicine.
A Wilderness First Responder course is recommended for:
- Non-medical recreational users in outdoor areas where advanced help, evacuation, and access to definitive care is generally available.
- Persons involved with organizations who will be working with other more highly trained individuals.
- Outdoor professionals, employed or volunteer, such as wilderness guides, outdoor instructors and educators, Search and Rescue members, Mountain Rescue members, ski patrol, medical personnel for adventure races/events, missionaries, and National Park Service members.
WFR Course Objectives
Upon completion of a Wilderness First Responder course, an individual is expected to:
- Assess a patient to identify potentially life threatening problems. (Evaluate)
- Complete the necessary non-invasive first aid and basic life support interventions to prevent medical problems and injuries from occurring or progressing. (Apply)
- Manage a patient in a remote setting for an extended time while mitigating environmental and terrain risks. (Analyze)
- Coordinate patient care as the lead medical provider in the absence of higher level care providers. (Create)
- Determine the need for additional resources and higher level care for patients with life threatening problems. (Evaluate)
- Determine the need for and urgency of evacuation for ill or injured patients. (Evaluate)
Online learning - 40 hours
In person, 8am to 6pm: 3/25, 3/26, 3/31, 4/1, 4/2
Can't commit to 5 days? Check out our Wilderness First Aid courses
Gearhouse Course Cost with membership: $375 (CPR/AED cert required, CPR/AED classes offered for $75 at Gearhouse over 1 evening)
Gearhouse Course Cost w/o membership: $700
Typical Course Cost: $800 - $1000
$375 ticket + tax$414.00+$10.35 service fee
$700 course fee + $70 tax$770.00+$19.25 service fee
Other dates please
Use this box if you'd like to attend but can't make these specific dates.$0.00